Welcome to our government website. We hope you will use these resources to make your life easier and to keep informed about your town and government.
Joseph Maturo Jr.
Mayor of East Haven, CT.
TOWN HALL INFORMATION
• Town Hall Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M.
• Mayor’s Office Hours: Monday thru Friday: 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M. Residents are invited to call the Mayor’s Office to schedule an appointment with him.
• Mayor’s Office Phone:203–468–3204 and Government Phone Directory.
• All offices of the Town of East Haven will be closed Thursday and Friday November 27th and 28th in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday.
• Residential Trash will not be picked up on Thanksgiving Day, with the pickups for the remainder of that week being delayed one day.
East Haven Landfill will be closed on Friday November 28th but will be open on Saturday November 29th from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
WINTER LANDFILL SCHEDULE During the months of December, January and February the landfill will be open for residents on the following Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.: December 20, January 17, 2015 and February 21, 2015.
• The landfill will continue to be open for residents on every Friday, also from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. For further information, you may contact Public Services at 203–468–3327.
• Landfill Passes Required: If using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
EAST HAVEN GOVERNMENT TWEETS & PRESS
• RFP PLANS FOR OLD HIGH SCHOOL @ 200 TYLER Read the press release from 11/25/14 for details.
• In an effort to provide a wider variety of communications to the residents a new Town of East Haven Twitter Feed has been established. Easily get important information from your government in times of disaster and when there is no power for computers. Follow EastHavenCT on all your devices.
• All vehicles shall be parked on off–street facilities where such off–street facilities are available.
• Unless otherwise posted, vehicles shall be permitted to park only on the EVEN numbered sides of streets.
DURING SNOW ALERTS OR SNOWSTORMS:
• The owners of vehicles shall be required to remove their vehicles from the EVEN numbered sides of the street within 6 HOURS AFTER odd numbered sides of street has been plowed and cleared.
• Any vehicles on streets posted, which instruct parking on ODD numbered sides shall be moved to the EVEN side within 6 HOURS AFTER even numbered sides of street has been plowed and cleared.
• SIDEWALKS: All residents and businesses must clear sidewalks of snow within 24 hours following the end of the storm.
• LEAF PICKUP SCHEDULE East Haven Public Services will begin fall leaf pickups on Monday November 17th. Each street has been assigned a scheduled day for pick up.
East Haven residents are reminded that in order for leaves to be collected, they must be deposited in biodegradable paper leaf bags and placed at the curbside. Leaves placed in plastic bags WILL NOT be picked up.
Find your street in the Leaf Pickup Schedule by date or Leaf Pickup Schedule by street name to find out your leaf pickup date.
Any questions, residents may contact Public Services at (203)468–3328.
Energy Assistance Program
• The Town is accepting applications for the Renters’ Rebate Program starting October 1, 2014. Visit the Social Services Department page for details about both programs.
TOWN CLERK NEWS
NOW SEARCH EAST HAVEN LAND RECORDS ONLINE
• The East Haven Town Clerk’s Office is pleased to announce the availability online of land records indexed from 1977 to present, as well as scanned land records from 2005 to present. While searching the records is free, a $2.00 charge to view and or print a document applies. Visit the
Town Clerk Services web page for the link and further details.
LANDFILL PASSES REQUIRED
• As always if using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. For more information, contact Public Services at 203–468–3329.
• EFFECTIVE APRIL 12, 2010: YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION & BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE A LANDFILL PASS.
Obtaining a Landfill Pass: Landfill passes are purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office (250 Main Street) daily during regular business hours. Purchase a landfill pass if using a pickup, box, dump, masonry truck, commercial plate cargo van, or trailer. For current Landfill Pass requirements and fee schedule please read this Landfill Pass Policy press release.
STILL DEALING WITH HURRICANE DAMAGE?
• The Town Engineer & the Public Services Department have information for the public on a wide variety of pre and post disaster information. They have information on properly preparing in advance for our next inevitable natural disaster. They have a wealth of information from FEMA and the State DEEP to advice you on preparedness. They can also answer any questions about the Flood insurance program. Contact the departments for more information.
GO GREEN & SAVE
REGISTER FOR CT SOLAR WORKSHOPS IN EAST HAVEN
• The Town of East Haven is promoting the CT Solar Challenge. This program makes installing a solar system simple and affordable for East Haven residents. The program is only for 6 months, but will have the lowest solar electric prices in the history of solar energy! Rebate programs are a partnership of the CT Energy Efficiency Fund, Clean Energy Finance & Investment Authority and your local electric and gas utility companies.
• CT Solar Challenge programs bring neighbors together to earn group discounts in a limited enrollment period. The program will launch September 23rd with a solar workshop at the Senior Center, 91 Taylor Ave. from 7 to 9pm. Space is limited, so register early online at www.ctsolarchallenge.com/east-haven/ there will be a second workshop on September 30th at the same time and place.
For more details read the 9/2/14 press release.
EAST HAVEN GO GREEN!
RECYCLE YOUR ELECTRONICS FOR FREE
• Your used electronics can now be recycled at the East Haven Landfill Fridays and Saturdays from 8:30am to 3pm. Bring televisions, computers, laptops, monitors, cell phones, printers, keyboards, mice, and other household electronics to be responsibly recycled. There is no fee to recycle residential electronics. Items not accepted under the residential electronics recycling program include smoke detectors, hazardous materials and liquids, and air conditioners. Read the press release for more information.
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING
• Mayor Maturo reminds residents that the Town of East Haven continues to offer Residential Single Stream Recycling and has recently began to accept Electronic Waste at our Landfill. Information about what can be recycled is detailed in this document. Recycling is not only good for the environment but the Town saves $85 for every ton of waste that is recycled rather than put into our refuse. If we can increase our recycling significantly it will certainly help our taxpayers as we continue to help East Haven to remain an affordable community.
Get Information about United Illuminating’s Vegetation Program
• UI now has information on their vegetation management program in their website. Citizens should go to www.uinet.com and click the Protecting Your Service: UI’s Vegetation Program link on the left side of the page.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GIVING
• EAST HAVEN FOOD PANTRY Donations of non–perishable food and monies (checks only) are encouraged. These donations can also be dropped off at Town Hall or the Hagaman Memorial Library during regular business hours. Volunteers are also needed, please contact Phyllis LaRoche at 203–469–1197.
East Haven Food Pantry at Christ and the Epiphany Church hours: Tuesday & Thursday 9:00a.m. – 11:00a.m. and Saturday 11:00a.m. – 1:00p.m.
Reminder: Monetary donations have a purchasing power available to the Food Pantry of at least double the funds given.
Make your checks out to: East Haven Food Pantry.
Then mail your check to: East Haven Food Pantry 39 Park Place East Haven, CT 06512.
Visit East Haven Food Pantry for more information.
• MOTOR VEHICLE RECYCLING FOR WISHES Do you have an old vehicle you would like to dispose of?
At no cost to you, you can donate your vehicle to be either recycled or auctioned. Your tax–deductible, charitable donation helps wishes come true for kids. WHEELS FOR WISHES, a nonprofit that works with MAKE–A–WISH CONNECTICUT to turn old cars into wishes granted for local kids, will tow away old or broken down vehicles. To find out more, go to Connecticut.wheelsforwishes.org
or to donate the car to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation go to www.carstocurebreastcancer.org/connecticut/.
• SARAH RECYCLING: DONATE YOUR CANS & BOTTLES With the cooperation of Mayor Maturo, and support from a grant through The Alcoa Foundation, three large yellow recycling containers have been placed throughout town. Look for these bins in the parking lot at the East Haven Town Beach, the Town Green and the Foxon Recreation Community Center. You can donate your refundable bottles and cans by placing them in one of our large yellow bins located throughout town or visit their newly renovated SARAH Redemption Center located on Rt. 80 and redeem your bottles and cans to get back your nickel deposit. Read the press release for more detailed information.
Prescription Discount Card Program Savings Residents Money
Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. is pleased to report that for the first 12 months of the Town’s Prescription Drug Discount Card Program, the number of participants continues to grow with an average dollar savings of 57% for a total dollar savings of over $ 87,000. Read the latest information about the success of this program in the
press release from July 2014. The card offers all uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines and should have already been mailed to your home. View the PROACT CARD flyer for more information.
• Need a Prescription Discount Card? Additional cards are available at the Mayor’s office or visit www.CTRxDiscountCard.com, and select East Haven from the drop–down menu to print a card online.
UPCOMING EAST HAVEN EVENTS
East Haven Rotary Annual FREE Thanksgiving Dinner
• For the eighth year in a row The Rotary Club of East Haven will be serving to East Haven residents a FREE full course Thanksgiving Dinner at the East Haven Senior Center on Thanksgiving Day promptly at 11:00 am. In addition to a turkey dinner the Rotary will be providing all the traditional holiday "fixings" including beverages and desserts, which will be open to the public.
Club members will also be providing dinners for East Haven families that would prefer to dine at home rather than at the Senior Center. The Rotary will package the dinners for takeout and arrangements may be made to pick them up or even have them delivered if transportation is not available. Families requesting these meals can contact Rotarian Bob Parente at 203–675–1588.
• With the increasing needs of the community, monetary donations would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wishing to donate may also contact Mr. Parente or mail checks payable to East Haven Rotary "Thanksgiving Donation" c/o Frank Gentilesco at the Office of Mayor, 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512.
• BREAKFAST WITH SANTA The East Haven Rotary Club of East Haven will again be hosting its very popular annual "Breakfast with Santa" on Saturday December 6th from 9:00 am until 11:00 am at the East Haven Senior Center at 91 Taylor Avenue in East Haven. The breakfast will include: pancakes and sausage along with juice and coffee.
• Santa’s sleigh will arrive at 9:30 am and he will be bringing a gift for every child! Children will be able to fish for prizes for $ 1 and there will be a craft and arts table.
Children 8 years of age and younger will be admitted free. Admission for all others will be $ 5 per person or an unwrapped toy for the East Haven Fire Department Christmas Toy program. • AMBER ALERT ID CARDS During the event the Rotary will also be offering FREE ID cards for children through the "Amber Alert–Connecticut" identification program. A second AMBER ID card is available for an additional fee. The only requirement to obtain the ID card is for the parent/guardian to fill out and sign a brief consent form. The information provided does not identify the child by name, address or school and is only useful to law enforcement and the parent/guardian in an emergency.
• SANTA’S HOTLINE December 8 – 23 from 6:00 to 8:00PM. Call and tell Santa your Christmas wish at 203–468–3265. Provided by the East Haven Recreation Department.
ANNUAL TREE LIGHTING 11/29 @ 1PM to 5PM
• This yearly Thanksgiving weekend tradition to celebrate the begining of the holiday season will be on November 29th from 1pm to 5pm on the Town Green. This event is free.
• Schedule: Santa arrives at 2pm. St. Vincent DePaul Choir sings at 4pm. Tree Lighting at 5pm.
• Activites: Obstacle Course, Hay Ride, Kiddie Train, Acitivity Tables, Hot Cocoa, Smores, and Cookie Decorating.
EAST HAVEN POLICE DEPARTMENT
The East Haven Police Dept website has replaced the Police Department page in this government website. You will find forms, phone numbers, Police Commission minutes and much more on their new website. I suggest everyone visit and learn about the valuable resources available to the public then bookmark it in your Internet browser.
•TOWN OF EAST HAVEN ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) MUNICIPAL NOTICE & GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES have been updated and are posted in the Administration & Management Office page.
• To file a complaint with East Haven Public Schools please contact
the Superintendent at 203–468–3261.
EAST HAVEN PHOTOS & INFORMATION
• VIEW FALL FESTIVAL PHOTOS. Links to all Fall Festival Photo Albums and other photos taken since 2008, when the new town website was created, can be found in the
MEDIA web page.
• View over 60 photo albums covering the people and events in East Haven, CT since 2008.
• FOR MORE INFORMATION ON LOCAL EVENTS DON’T FORGET TO CHECK THE TOWN BULLETIN BOARD.
Get information about local fairs, walks, fund raisers, golf tournmaments, support groups, soup kitchens, charitable groups, Rotary events, and other local events.
Senior Center Birthday Celebration Photos!
See our new Senior Center Monthly Birthdays Photo Album. It’s where you and your family can see pictures of the monthly birthday honorees starting with December 2011.