Welcome to our government website. We hope you will use these resources to make your life easier and to keep informed about your town and government.
Joseph Maturo Jr.
Mayor of East Haven, CT.
TOWN HALL INFORMATION
• Town Hall Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M.
• Mayor’s Office Hours: Monday thru Friday: 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M. Residents are invited to call the Mayor’s Office to schedule an appointment with him.
• Mayor’s Office Phone:203–468–3204 and Government Phone Directory.
• NEW ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING NONRESIDENT OWNER–LANDLORD
REGISTRATION PROVISIONS Read the press release from 1/28/15 for details. Get the form in the Planning & Zoning Dept. web page.
EAST HAVEN GOVERNMENT TWEETS
In an effort to provide a wider variety of communications to the residents a new Town of East Haven Twitter Feed has been established. Easily get important information from your government in times of disaster and when there is no power for computers. Follow EastHavenCT on all your devices.
• SOCIAL SERVICES ACCEPTING APPOINTMENTS FOR
ENERGY ASSISTANCE APPLICATIONS
East Haven residents whose primary heating source is gas or electric can now apply for energy assistance through the 2014–2015 Connecticut Energy Assistance program. The Connecticut Energy Assistance program is a state and federally funded program which assists East Haven families with fuel expenses for their primary heating source. The program is designed to provide Energy Assistance to individuals and families that meet federal income guidelines. The Town of East Haven Social Services Department coordinates this program.
Appointments will be available Monday–Thursday from 9:00am to 1:00pm in the Social Services office, located in East Haven Town Hall, 250 Main Street. This service is available by appointment only for East Haven residents. To schedule an appointment please call the Town of East Haven Senior Center at 203–468–3277. The last date to apply is April 15, 2015.
Program eligibility is determined by the total income of the applicant’s household. The following documents must be brought in at the time of appointment for all household members 18 years of age or older:
• Last 4 weeks of any income documentation.
• Most recent bank statements.
• Most recent UI bill even if it is not your primary heating source.
• Most recent gas bill if you heat with gas.
To date Social Services has processed over 300 Energy Assistance applications from town residents who heat with oil. For more information, please contact Social Services at 203–468–3303.
• RENTER’ REBATE PROGRAM The Town is accepting applications for the Renters’ Rebate Program starting October 1, 2014. Visit the Social Services Department page for details about both programs.
LANDFILL SCHEDULE UPDATE
• Due to the near record snow, ice and cold, the Landfill will resume its Saturday schedule on March 14th.
• The Landfill is open for residents on every Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
For further information, you may contact Public Services at 203–468–3327.
• Landfill Passes Required: If using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
TOWN CLERK NEWS
NOW SEARCH EAST HAVEN LAND RECORDS ONLINE
• The East Haven Town Clerk’s Office is pleased to announce the availability online of land records indexed from 1977 to present, as well as scanned land records from 2005 to present. While searching the records is free, a $2.00 charge to view and or print a document applies. Visit the
Town Clerk Services web page for the link and further details.
LANDFILL PASSES REQUIRED
• As always if using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. For more information, contact Public Services at 203–468–3329.
• EFFECTIVE APRIL 12, 2010: YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION & BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE A LANDFILL PASS.
Obtaining a Landfill Pass: Landfill passes are purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office (250 Main Street) daily during regular business hours. Purchase a landfill pass if using a pickup, box, dump, masonry truck, commercial plate cargo van, or trailer. For current Landfill Pass requirements and fee schedule please read this Landfill Pass Policy press release.
STILL DEALING with DAMAGE from SANDY or IRENE
• The Town Engineer & the Public Services Department have information for the public on a wide variety of pre and post disaster information. They have information on properly preparing in advance for our next inevitable natural disaster. They have a wealth of information from FEMA and the State DEEP to advice you on preparedness. They can also answer any questions about the Flood insurance program. Contact the departments for more information.
EAST HAVEN GOES GREEN!
SEMI–ANNUAL PICKUP OF APPLIANCES AND METALS
Town of East Haven’s semi–annual pickup of appliances and metals by Trash Master, LLC. Items acceptable are in accordance with East Haven Municipal Refuse, Waste and Recycling Program. For further information, residents can call Trash Master, at 203–466–2668.
• For all 1–3 family residences: All appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, etc) and all metals must be placed at the curb by Monday, April 20th, 6 a.m. This special pickup is for appliances and metals ONLY. Residents are asked to refrain from placing regular acceptable bulk items on the curb during this week. Items should not be placed at the curb earlier than five days before April 20.
• For Condominiums ONLY: Condominium bulk pickup is Saturday April 11th.
Condominium Appliance and Metal pickup is Saturday April 18th.
Condo owners will be notified of the procedure to be followed at their location, by their property managers.
RECYCLE YOUR ELECTRONICS FOR FREE
• Your used electronics can now be recycled at the East Haven Landfill Fridays and Saturdays from 8:30am to 3pm. Bring televisions, computers, laptops, monitors, cell phones, printers, keyboards, mice, and other household electronics to be responsibly recycled. There is no fee to recycle residential electronics. Items not accepted under the residential electronics recycling program include smoke detectors, hazardous materials and liquids, and air conditioners. Read the press release for more information.
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING
• Mayor Maturo reminds residents that the Town of East Haven continues to offer Residential Single Stream Recycling and has recently began to accept Electronic Waste at our Landfill. Information about what can be recycled is detailed in this document. Recycling is not only good for the environment but the Town saves $85 for every ton of waste that is recycled rather than put into our refuse. If we can increase our recycling significantly it will certainly help our taxpayers as we continue to help East Haven to remain an affordable community.
Get Information about United Illuminating’s Vegetation Program
• UI now has information on their vegetation management program in their website. Citizens should go to www.uinet.com and click the Protecting Your Service: UI’s Vegetation Program link on the left side of the page.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GIVING & VOLUNTEERING
• VOLUNTEER DRIVERS NEEDED The Town of East Haven is looking for volunteer drivers in order to provide transportation for seniors for the purpose of providing rides for their medical appointments.
The conversion van, with wheelchair lift and handicapped access, is staffed by volunteers, with scheduling to be handled by the East Haven Senior Center. The amount of time the van can be on the road will depend on the number of drivers available. The van will be available for appointments both within the town and the surrounding communities.
Drivers of the van for this purpose will need to have a CT Motor Vehicle Driver’s License with an F endorsement (Taxi, Livery, Service Bus, Motor Coach). Anyone with a current non–commercial driver’s license may apply to the Department of Motor Vehicles for this proper endorsement.
Please contact Mayor Maturo’s office at (203) 468–3204, if you are interested in volunteering for this very worthwhile community service.
• EAST HAVEN FOOD PANTRY Donations of non–perishable food and monies (checks only) are encouraged. These donations can also be dropped off at Town Hall or the Hagaman Memorial Library during regular business hours. Volunteers are also needed, please contact Phyllis LaRoche at 203–469–1197.
East Haven Food Pantry at Christ and the Epiphany Church hours: Tuesday & Thursday 9:00a.m. – 11:00a.m. and Saturday 11:00a.m. – 1:00p.m.
Reminder: Monetary donations have a purchasing power available to the Food Pantry of at least double the funds given.
Make your checks out to: East Haven Food Pantry.
Then mail your check to: East Haven Food Pantry 39 Park Place East Haven, CT 06512.
Visit East Haven Food Pantry for more information.
• MOTOR VEHICLE RECYCLING FOR WISHES Do you have an old vehicle you would like to dispose of?
At no cost to you, you can donate your vehicle to be either recycled or auctioned. Your tax–deductible, charitable donation helps wishes come true for kids. WHEELS FOR WISHES, a nonprofit that works with MAKE–A–WISH CONNECTICUT to turn old cars into wishes granted for local kids, will tow away old or broken down vehicles. To find out more, go to Connecticut.wheelsforwishes.org
or to donate the car to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation go to www.carstocurebreastcancer.org/connecticut/.
• SARAH RECYCLING: DONATE YOUR CANS & BOTTLES With the cooperation of Mayor Maturo, and support from a grant through The Alcoa Foundation, three large yellow recycling containers have been placed throughout town. Look for these bins in the parking lot at the East Haven Town Beach, the Town Green and the Foxon Recreation Community Center. You can donate your refundable bottles and cans by placing them in one of our large yellow bins located throughout town or visit their newly renovated SARAH Redemption Center located on Rt. 80 and redeem your bottles and cans to get back your nickel deposit. Read the press release for more detailed information.
PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT CARDS STILL AVAILABLE!
OVER $110,000 OF SAVINGS REALIZED TO DATE
Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. would like to remind residents that The Town of East Haven, through its association with the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM), the statewide association of towns and cities, is still providing resident with prescription discount cards that will offer uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines. East Haven is a member of CCM and the town entered into this program 2012. Since that time, 1259 cards have been used, for a total of 2,234 claims, with a total savings to residents of over $110,000! Cost savings have been averaging over 55 percent.
Read the latest information about the success of this program in the
press release March 6, 2015. The card offers all uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines and should have already been mailed to your home. View the PROACT CARD flyer for more information.
• Need a Prescription Discount Card? Additional cards are available at the Mayor’s office or visit www.CTRxDiscountCard.com, and select East Haven from the drop–down menu to print a card online.
EAST HAVEN EVENTS
15th ANNUAL FIRWORKS & BEACH PARTY
• Saturday June 27th this is a fun–filled day of food, music and live entertainment. The rain date, for the fireworks only, is Monday June 29th.
Read the press release for more information and to find out how you can make a donation.
To help celebrate this year’s anniversary show, the evening will be featuring the nationally acclaimed musical entertainment of "The Bronx Wanderers"! Having appeared at two previous Fall Festivals, the thousands in attendance have each time asked for their return and through our sponsors’ generosity, the Fireworks Committee is pleased to be able to bring them back for this special celebration.
SUNDAY CONCERTS on the GREEN
• July 12 Groove Time Band
• July 19 Eight to the Bar
• July 26 Avenue Groove
• August 2 Locomotion Band
• August 9 Signature band
• August 16 The Barons
• August 23 Neapolitan Night
• August 30 PrimeTime Band
SENIOR DAY AUGUST 22nd
EAST HAVEN FALL FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 11th–13th
EAST HAVEN TO HOST 2015 COLUMBUS DAY PARADE
• The parade will be held on Sunday October 11th as marchers will step off in the downtown district of East Haven. This year’s Parade, which will step off at 1:00 pm from the intersection of Coe Avenue and Short Beach Road, down Hemingway Avenue to Main Street into the West End district, concluding at Circle Lanes.
• Chairman Laura Luzzi and General Co–Chairperson Joanne Mallinson invite all participants, sponsors and those interested in volunteering for this event to visit the Columbus Day Parade website at: www.columbusdaynewhaven.org/.
MARCH or VOLUNTEER @ COLUMBUS DAY PARADE
• East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. and The Greater New Haven Columbus Day Parade Committee are actively seeking participants for this year’s Columbus Day Parade.
• Volunteers are still needed for planning and coordinating the parade.
The Committee would like to extend an invitation to any civic group, fraternal organization, veterans, service clubs, athletic leagues, churches and of course marching bands that desire to participate in the annual procession. All groups or organizations of any ethnic background are encouraged to participate. Vehicles and motorized floats are also welcome to take part. To march in the parade any group or organization must complete the parade application which can be obtained by emailing: email@example.com or by calling Joyce Hollenbeck or Danelle Feeley in the Office of Mayor Maturo, at 203–468–3204.
EAST HAVEN POLICE DEPARTMENT
The East Haven Police Dept website has replaced the Police Department page in this government website. You will find forms, phone numbers, Police Commission minutes and much more on their new website. I suggest everyone visit and learn about the valuable resources available to the public then bookmark it in your Internet browser.
New East Haven Police Department Substation
• Announcing the opening of the new East Haven Police Department Substation located at East Farm Village, 65 Messina Drive on Tuesday, March 17, 2015.
•TOWN OF EAST HAVEN ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) MUNICIPAL NOTICE & GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES have been updated and are posted in the Administration & Management Office page.
• To file a complaint with East Haven Public Schools please contact
the Superintendent at 203–468–3261.
EAST HAVEN PHOTOS & INFORMATION
• VIEW FALL FESTIVAL PHOTOS. Links to all Fall Festival Photo Albums and other photos taken since 2008, when the new town website was created, can be found in the
MEDIA web page.
• View over 60 photo albums covering the people and events in East Haven, CT since 2008.
• FOR MORE INFORMATION ON LOCAL EVENTS DON’T FORGET TO CHECK THE TOWN BULLETIN BOARD.
Get information about local fairs, walks, fund raisers, golf tournmaments, support groups, soup kitchens, charitable groups, Rotary events, and other local events.
Senior Center Birthday Celebration Photos!
See our new Senior Center Monthly Birthdays Photo Album. It’s where you and your family can see pictures of the monthly birthday honorees starting with December 2011.