Welcome to our government website. We hope you will use these resources to make your life easier and to keep informed about your town and government.
Joseph Maturo Jr.
Mayor of East Haven, CT.
TOWN HALL INFORMATION
• Town Hall Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M.
• Mayor’s Office Hours: Monday thru Friday: 8:30A.M. – 4:30P.M. Residents are invited to call the Mayor’s Office to schedule an appointment with him.
• Mayor’s Office Phone:203–468–3204 and Government Phone Directory.
• ALL TOWN OFFICES CLOSED FRIDAY JULY 3RD.
TOWN LANDFILL IS CLOSED JULY 3RD AND JULY 4TH. LANDFILL WILL BE OPEN THURSDAY JULY 2ND and MONDAY JULY 6TH.
15th ANNUAL FIRWORKS & BEACH PARTY
POSTPONED UNTIL MONDAY JUNE 29TH
The new schedule for Monday will be as follows: • Cosey Beach Avenue from Coe Avenue to 2nd Avenue will close at 2 pm on Monday to allow the food court to be set up.
• At 2 pm Monday beach entertainment will begin and food vendors should begin selling after 4 pm (Of course the Sandpiper and Beach Head Restaurants located on Cosey Beach will be open for regular hours)
• The Bronx Wanderers will appear beginning at 7:30 pm Monday.
• Fireworks ceremonies and the show will begin approximately at 9:00 pm Monday.
• Reminder: All other road closures will take place beginning at 6 pm Monday evening.
Read the EHPD notice of Road Closures for more details.
EAST HAVEN GOVERNMENT TWEETS
In an effort to provide a wider variety of communications to the residents a new Town of East Haven Twitter Feed has been established. Easily get important information from your government in times of disaster and when there is no power for computers. Follow EastHavenCT on all your devices.
• Calling all dog owners in East Haven: Please help Owen Little, our Animal Control Officer, by licensing your dog. All dogs must be licensed by CT State law. June is the month across CT to license your dog penalty free. Cost is $8.00 spayed/neutered, $19 for non–spayed/non–neutered. This protects your dog, you, and your neighborhood. Please visit the Town Clerk’s Office to license your dog, grab a piece of candy for yourself, and a bag of dog treats all for just licensing your dog!!!!
NOW SEARCH EAST HAVEN LAND RECORDS ONLINE
• The East Haven Town Clerk’s Office is pleased to announce the availability online of land records indexed from 1977 to present, as well as scanned land records from 2005 to present. While searching the records is free, a $2.00 charge to view and or print a document applies. Visit the
Town Clerk Services web page for the link and further details.
LANDFILL PASSES REQUIRED
• As always if using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. For more information, contact Public Services at 203–468–3329.
• EFFECTIVE APRIL 12, 2010: YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION & BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE A LANDFILL PASS.
Obtaining a Landfill Pass: Landfill passes are purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office (250 Main Street) daily during regular business hours. Purchase a landfill pass if using a pickup, box, dump, masonry truck, commercial plate cargo van, or trailer. For current Landfill Pass requirements and fee schedule please read this Landfill Pass Policy press release.
SOCIAL SERVICES ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
• RENTER’ REBATE PROGRAM East Haven residents who are 65 years of age and older or are fully disabled regardless of their age are eligible to apply for a one time rebate check from the State of Connecticut. The Town of East Haven Social Services Department will be taking applications from May 18, 2015 to September 15, 2015. Visit the Social Services Department for details about all available programs.
PUBLIC SERVICES NEWS
STILL DEALING with DAMAGE from SANDY or IRENE
• The Town Engineer & the Public Services Department have information for the public on a wide variety of pre and post disaster information. They have information on properly preparing in advance for our next inevitable natural disaster. They have a wealth of information from FEMA and the State DEEP to advice you on preparedness. They can also answer any questions about the Flood insurance program. Contact the departments for more information.
• Due to the near record snow, ice and cold, the Landfill will resume its Saturday schedule on March 14th.
• The Landfill is open for residents on every Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For further information, you may contact Public Services at 203–468–3327.
• Landfill Passes Required: If using any type of pickup truck, dump truck, cargo van, or trailer, please visit the Town Clerk’s office with the vehicle registration to purchase a landfill pass. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
EAST HAVEN EVENTS
SUNDAY CONCERTS on the GREEN
• July 12 Groove Time Band
• July 19 Eight to the Bar
• July 26 Avenue Groove
• August 2 Locomotion Band
• August 9 Signature Band
• August 16 The Barons
• August 23 Neapolitan Night with Nina Pane Sansaverino
• August 30 PrimeTime Band
• This year there will be eight Sunday concerts that run from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm. The Senior Bus will be available for these concerts by appointment only by calling (203) 468–3277.
EAST HAVEN FARMER’s MARKET
• East Haven Farmer’s Market on Sundays from 9:00am to 12:30pm from July 5th – October 4th @ East Haven Town Hall 250 Main Street. • As of this date, in addition to Vaiuso and Borrelli Farms, DiSorbo’s Italian Bakery has committed to selling their goods at the market each Sunday during the summer. The two farms are expected to bring a variety of fruits, vegetables and herbs each week, while DiSorbo’s Bakery while be offering their fresh handmade breads. Other various vendors are expected to be added each week.
• Interested vendors should contact one of the market managers either Carolyn Bradley (Borrelli Farm in Northford) @ 203–710–2760 or Chris Vaiuso (Vaiuso Farms in Branford) @ 203–444–1373. • All vendors interested in selling any food products must meet with the East Shore Health District during their regular business hours before being allowed to sell at the market.
• See pictures of the Farmer’s Market taken on July 2012.
• Saturday August 22nd from 12 noon to 3pm with Vinny Carr!
EAST HAVEN FALL FESTIVAL
• September 11th, 12th, 13th starring TONY ORLANDO!
SUBMIT 2015 MERIT AWARD NOMINATIONS
• Nomination forms can be picked up at the Mayor’s office in Town Hall and at the Library.
The Merit Awards announcement kickoff will be Thursday July 16th at 5:30pm at the Village At Mariner’s Point.
EAST HAVEN TO HOST 2015 COLUMBUS DAY PARADE OCTOBER 11th
• The parade will be held on Sunday October 11th as marchers will step off in the downtown district of East Haven. This year’s Parade, which will step off at 1:00 pm from the intersection of Coe Avenue and Short Beach Road, down Hemingway Avenue to Main Street into the West End district, concluding at Circle Lanes.
• Chairman Laura Luzzi and General Co–Chairperson Joanne Mallinson invite all participants, sponsors and those interested in volunteering for this event to visit the Columbus Day Parade website at: www.columbusdaynewhaven.org/.
• East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. and The Greater New Haven Columbus Day Parade Committee are actively seeking participants for this year’s Columbus Day Parade. Grand Marshals for the Columbus Day Parade announced in this press release.
• MARCH or VOLUNTEER: The Greater New Haven Columbus Day Committee is still encouraging all other groups or organizations to participate and make reservations for the 2015 parade. Volunteers are still needed for planning and coordinating the parade.
• PARADE KICKOFF EVENT SUNDAY JULY 12th This year’s Kickoff event will be held on Sunday July 12th hosted by the East Haven Italian–American Club at the club’s facility located on 509 Laurel Street in East Haven. The event, which will feature food, drink and entertainment, will run from 1:00pm until evening.
Tickets may be purchased in advance from the Committee, call Joanne 203–469–2927 or Paul 203–488–7571. Or tickets can be purchased at the East Haven Mayor’s Office, located in Town Hall at 250 Main Street. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. The event is a significant fundraiser for the Committee as all proceeds will be used for this year’s Columbus Day Parade.
• The Committee would like to extend an invitation to any civic group, fraternal organization, veterans, service clubs, athletic leagues, churches and of course marching bands that desire to participate in the annual procession. All groups or organizations of any ethnic background are encouraged to participate. Vehicles and motorized floats are also welcome to take part. To march in the parade any group or organization must complete the parade application which can be obtained by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Joyce Hollenbeck or Danelle Feeley in the Office of Mayor Maturo, at 203–468–3204.
EAST HAVEN GOES GREEN!
RECYCLE YOUR ELECTRONICS FOR FREE
• Your used electronics can now be recycled at the East Haven Landfill Fridays and Saturdays from 8:30am to 3pm. Bring televisions, computers, laptops, monitors, cell phones, printers, keyboards, mice, and other household electronics to be responsibly recycled. There is no fee to recycle residential electronics. Items not accepted under the residential electronics recycling program include smoke detectors, hazardous materials and liquids, and air conditioners. Read the press release for more information.
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING
• Mayor Maturo reminds residents that the Town of East Haven continues to offer Residential Single Stream Recycling and has recently began to accept Electronic Waste at our Landfill. Information about what can be recycled is detailed in this document. Recycling is not only good for the environment but the Town saves $85 for every ton of waste that is recycled rather than put into our refuse. If we can increase our recycling significantly it will certainly help our taxpayers as we continue to help East Haven to remain an affordable community.
Get Information about United Illuminating’s Vegetation Program
• UI now has information on their vegetation management program in their website. Citizens should go to www.uinet.com and click the Protecting Your Service: UI’s Vegetation Program link on the left side of the page.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GIVING & VOLUNTEERING
• Community Kitchen Volunteers Needed Are you interested in helping your neighbors? Volunteers are needed for the East Haven United Community Kitchen, including drivers to pick up/drop off food donations, dining room helpers as well as kitchen set up/clean up, fundraiser help, administrative help, advertising, etc. For more information or to get a volunteer application, contact email@example.com or call 203–397–6409.
Community Kitchen Serving Lunch June 20th! The East Haven United Community Kitchen will serve lunch on Saturday, June 20th to any and all members of the East Haven community wishing to enjoy a free meal alongside your neighbors. Lunch will be served from 1:30 to 2:30 pm at Christ and The Epiphany Church, 39 Park Place, on the East Haven Green. All are welcome.
• VOLUNTEER DRIVERS NEEDED The Town of East Haven is looking for volunteer drivers in order to provide transportation for seniors for the purpose of providing rides for their medical appointments.
The conversion van, with wheelchair lift and handicapped access, is staffed by volunteers, with scheduling to be handled by the East Haven Senior Center. The amount of time the van can be on the road will depend on the number of drivers available. The van will be available for appointments both within the town and the surrounding communities.
Drivers of the van for this purpose will need to have a CT Motor Vehicle Driver’s License with an F endorsement (Taxi, Livery, Service Bus, Motor Coach) or a CT CDL with both P and S endorsements. Anyone with a current non–commercial driver’s license may apply to the Department of Motor Vehicles for this proper endorsement.
Please contact Mayor Maturo’s office at (203)468–3204, if you are interested in volunteering for this very worthwhile community service.
• EAST HAVEN FOOD PANTRY Donations of non–perishable food and monies (checks only) are encouraged. These donations can also be dropped off at Town Hall or the Hagaman Memorial Library during regular business hours. Volunteers are also needed, please contact Phyllis LaRoche at 203–469–1197.
East Haven Food Pantry at Christ and the Epiphany Church hours: Tuesday & Thursday 9:00a.m. – 11:00a.m. and Saturday 11:00a.m. – 1:00p.m.
Reminder: Monetary donations have a purchasing power available to the Food Pantry of at least double the funds given. Make your checks payable to: East Haven Food Pantry. Then mail your check to: East Haven Food Pantry 39 Park Place East Haven, CT 06512.
Visit East Haven Food Pantry for more information.
• MOTOR VEHICLE RECYCLING FOR WISHES Do you have an old vehicle you would like to dispose of?
At no cost to you, you can donate your vehicle to be either recycled or auctioned. Your tax–deductible, charitable donation helps wishes come true for kids. WHEELS FOR WISHES, a nonprofit that works with MAKE–A–WISH CONNECTICUT to turn old cars into wishes granted for local kids, will tow away old or broken down vehicles. To find out more, go to Connecticut.wheelsforwishes.org
or to donate the car to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation go to www.carstocurebreastcancer.org/connecticut/.
• SARAH RECYCLING: DONATE YOUR CANS & BOTTLES With the cooperation of Mayor Maturo, and support from a grant through The Alcoa Foundation, three large yellow recycling containers have been placed throughout town. Look for these bins in the parking lot at the East Haven Town Beach, the Town Green and the Foxon Recreation Community Center. You can donate your refundable bottles and cans by placing them in one of our large yellow bins located throughout town or visit their newly renovated SARAH Redemption Center located on Rt. 80 and redeem your bottles and cans to get back your nickel deposit. Read the press release for more detailed information.
PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT CARDS STILL AVAILABLE!
OVER $110,000 OF SAVINGS REALIZED TO DATE
Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. would like to remind residents that The Town of East Haven, through its association with the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM), the statewide association of towns and cities, is still providing resident with prescription discount cards that will offer uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines. East Haven is a member of CCM and the town entered into this program 2012. Since that time, 1259 cards have been used, for a total of 2,234 claims, with a total savings to residents of over $110,000! Cost savings have been averaging over 55 percent.
Read the latest information about the success of this program in the
press release March 6, 2015. The card offers all uninsured and underinsured residents steep savings on prescription medicines and should have already been mailed to your home. View the PROACT CARD flyer for more information.
• Need a Prescription Discount Card? Additional cards are available at the Mayor’s office or visit www.CTRxDiscountCard.com, and select East Haven from the drop–down menu to print a card online.
EAST HAVEN POLICE DEPARTMENT
The East Haven Police Dept website has replaced the Police Department page in this government website. You will find forms, phone numbers, Police Commission minutes and much more on their new website. I suggest everyone visit and learn about the valuable resources available to the public then bookmark it in your Internet browser.
New East Haven Police Department Substation
• Announcing the opening of the new East Haven Police Department Substation located at East Farm Village, 65 Messina Drive on Tuesday, March 17, 2015.
•TOWN OF EAST HAVEN ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) MUNICIPAL NOTICE & GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES have been updated and are posted in the Administration & Management Office page.
• To file a complaint with East Haven Public Schools please contact
the Superintendent at 203–468–3261.
EAST HAVEN PHOTOS & INFORMATION
• VIEW FALL FESTIVAL PHOTOS. Links to all Fall Festival Photo Albums and other photos taken since 2008, when the new town website was created, can be found in the
MEDIA web page.
• View over 60 photo albums covering the people and events in East Haven, CT since 2008.
• FOR MORE INFORMATION ON LOCAL EVENTS DON’T FORGET TO CHECK THE TOWN BULLETIN BOARD.
Get information about local fairs, walks, fund raisers, golf tournmaments, support groups, soup kitchens, charitable groups, Rotary events, and other local events.
Senior Center Birthday Celebration Photos!
See our new Senior Center Monthly Birthdays Photo Album. It’s where you and your family can see pictures of the monthly birthday honorees starting with December 2011.