TOWN of EAST HAVEN
NEWS FROM THE TOWN ASSESSOR
Board of Assessment Appeals
• The Town of East Haven Board of Assessment Appeals will meet in the Assessor’s office, 250 Main Street, East Haven on the following Mondays in March 2014: March 3rd, March 10th and March 17th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. for the purpose of hearing appeals from taxpayers on their 2013 Real Estate and Personal Property and 2012 Supplemental Motor Vehicle Assessments.
• Applications are available between February 1 and February 20, 2014 in the Assessor’s office from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you have any questions you may call the Assessors office at 203–4687–3233.
Homeowners Elderly/Disabled Benefit Program 2014
• The East Haven Assessors Office will be accepting applications for the Elderly/Totally Disabled Homeowners Benefit Program from February 1, 2014 through May 15, 2014. All residents must be 65 years or older or totally disabled, own and live in the residence and meet the income guidelines of a maximum of $41,600 annual income for a married couple and $34,100 annual income for a single person. All applicants must provide proof of all income for the year 2013.
• Applications will be taken on Wednesdays only from 8:30 to 4:30 in the Assessors Office at the Town Hall. All Homeowners that qualify for this program will automatically receive and additional tax benefit through the Town. If there are any questions feel free to call the Assessors Office at 203–4687–3233 daily.
• Business and other owners of tangible personal property, pursuant to CGS 12–40 and 12–43 are required to file a Personal Property Declaration with the Assessor between Oct. 1, 2013 and Nov. 1, 2013. Companies that fail to declare by Nov. 1, 2013 are subject to an estimated assessment and a 25 percent penalty. This does not include registered automobiles, airplanes and boats.
• Personal Property declaration forms can be obtained at the Assessors Office, 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512 or by calling 203–468–3233.
• Farmers must file Personal Property exemption application to the Assessor before Nov. 1 annually.
• Farm and forest property owners applying for PA–490 assessment relief under provisions of CGS 12–107 must make application with the East Haven Assessor between Sept. 1, 2013 to Nov. 1, 2013 for the Oct. 1, 2013 Grand List.
• Totally disabled residents must file proof of their Social Security Disability with the Assessor by October 1, 2013 in order to receive an exemption.
• Exemptions for specially equipped vehicles for the use or transportation of handicapped individual or antique vehicles must annually submit an application to the Assessor by December 31st. All new applicants’ vehicles will be subject to inspection by the Assessor.
• Any person with a registered motor vehicle must notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address in accordance with C.G.S. Sec. 14–17a.
• Exemptions for specially equipped vehicles for the use or transportation of a handicapped individual or antique vehicles must annually submit an application to the Assessor for examination by December 31st.
• Motor vehicles registered out of state must be registered within 60 days of residency in the State of Connecticut, according to CGS 14–12a. Residents who fail to register their vehicles are subject to an estimate of tax. If you are a resident of another state, your vehicle should not be frequently in the Town of East Haven with out of state registration. The Assessors Office will report violators to the East Haven Police and the Department of Motor Vehicles.
• Board of Assessment Appeals Applications to contest Motor Vehicle assessments must be submitted to the Assessor’s office by August 20, 2013. The meeting will be held on Monday, September 16, 2013 in the Assessor’s Office.
• Appeals for Real Estate, Personal Property and Supplemental Motor Vehicle assessments must be submitted between Feb. 1, 2014 and Feb. 20, 2014. All meetings will be held in the Assessor’s office in March at dates to be determined.
• Property owners who have not obtained permits for new construction, improvements and alterations exceeding $100 in value, or structures razed or removed between Oct. 1, 2012 and Oct. 1, 2013 are required to report said activity to the Assessor in the month of October.
For any information please contact the East Haven Assessor’s Office at 203–468–3233 or 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512.
Information courtesy of Michael J. Milici, Assessor, C.C.M.A. II, SPA
• 2011 Town Wide Revaluation:
Press Release for May 20, 2011. Update on the Town Wide Revaluation process for the Grand List.
For information please contact the East Haven Assessor’s Office at 203–468–3233 or 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512. Information courtesy of Michael J. Milici, Assessor, C.C.M.A. II, SPA
East Haven Town Seal image by FC Foley ©2008–2014.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008–2014 Town of East Haven. All Rights Reserved.