TOWN of EAST HAVEN
NEWS FROM THE TOWN ASSESSOR
BOARD OF ASSESSMENT APPEALS DATES
The Town of East Haven Board of Assessment Appeals will meet in the Assessors office, 250 Main Street, East Haven on the following Mondays in March 2013 – March 11th, March 18th and March 25th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. for the purpose of hearing appeals from taxpayers on their Real Estate, Personal Property and Supplemental Motor Vehicle Assessments.
Applications are available between February 1 and February 20, 2013 in the Assessor’s office from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Monday through Friday. If you have any questions feel free to call the Assessors Office at 203–468–3233.
Elderly/Totally Disabled Homeowners Benefit Notice from Assessor’s Office
The East Haven Assessor’s Office will be accepting applications for the Program from February 1, 2013 through May 15, 2013. All residents must be 65 years or older or totally disabled, own and live in the residence and meet the income guidelines of a maximum of $40,900 annual income for a married couple and $33,500 annual income for a single person. All applicants must provide proof of all income for the year 2012.
Applications will be taken on Wednesdays only from 8:30 to 4:30 in the Assessor’s Office at the Town Hall. All Homeowners that qualify for this program will automatically receive and additional tax benefit through the Town.
If there are any questions feel free to call the Assessors Office at 203–468–3233 daily.
• Business and other owners of tangible personal property, pursuant to CGS 12–40 are required to file a Personal Property Declaration with the Assessor by Nov. 1, 2012. Companies that fail to declare by Nov. 1, 2012 are subject to an estimated assessment and a 25 percent penalty. This does not include registered automobiles, airplanes and boats.
• Personal Property declaration forms can be obtained at the Assessors Office, 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512 or by calling 203–468–3233.
• Any person with a registered motor vehicle must notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address in accordance with C.G.S. Sec. 14–17a.
• Motor vehicles registered out of state must be registered within 60 days of residency in the State of Connecticut, according to CGS 14–12a. Residents who fail to register their vehicles are subject to an estimate of tax. If you are a resident of another state, your vehicle should not be frequently in the Town of East Haven with out of state registration. The Assessors Office will report violators to the East Haven Police and the Department of Motor Vehicles.
• Exemptions for specially equipped vehicles for the use or transportation of a handicapped individual or antique vehicles must annually submit an application to the Assessor for examination by December 31st.
• Totally disabled residents must file with the Assessor proof of disability by October 1, 2012.
• Farmers must file Personal Property exemption application to the Assessor before November 1st annually.
• Farm and forest property owners applying for assessment relief under provisions of CGS 12–107 must make application to the East Haven Assessor Sept. 1, 2012 to Nov. 1, 2012 for the Oct. 1, 2012 Grand List.
• Property owners who have not obtained permits for new construction, improvements and alterations exceeding $100 in value, or structures razed or removed between Oct. 1, 2011 and Oct. 1, 2012 are required to report said activity to the Assessor in the month of October.
• Board of Assessment Appeals Applications to contest Motor Vehicle assessments must be submitted by August 20, 2012. The meeting will be held on Monday, September 17, 2012 in the Assessor’s Office.
• Appeals for Real Estate assessments must be submitted between Feb. 1, 2013 and Feb. 20, 2013. Meetings are held in March.
For any information please contact the East Haven Assessor’s Office at 203–468–3233 or 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512.
Information courtesy of Michael J. Milici, Assessor, C.C.M.A. II, SPA
• 2011 Town Wide Revaluation:
Press Release for May 20, 2011. Update on the Town Wide Revaluation process for the Grand List.
For information please contact the East Haven Assessor’s Office at 203–468–3233 or 250 Main Street, East Haven, CT 06512. Information courtesy of Michael J. Milici, Assessor, C.C.M.A. II, SPA
East Haven Town Seal image by FC Foley ©2008–2013.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008–2013 Town of East Haven. All Rights Reserved.