East Haven Historical Society Museum
East Haven & General Lafayette

blue horizontal bar
EHHS Home About EHHS General Lafayette Household Items Early Tools Women’s World One Hundred Years of Change
Admin & Mgt Finance Purchasing Town Attorney Urban Renewal
Animal Control Animal News
Arts Commission B&C Home B&C Agendas B&C Minutes B&C 2008 Minutes B&C 2009 Minutes B&C 2010 Minutes B&C 2011 Minutes B&C 2012 Minutes B&C 2013 Minutes BOE 2008 Minutes BOE 2009 Minutes BOE 2010 Minutes BOE 2011 Minutes BOE 2012 Minutes BOE 2013 Minutes Old Cemetery Board Public Hearings Reports
Counseling Services Youth Services Teen Center
Town Clerk’s Office Town Clerk Forms Town Clerk News Town Clerk Services
Assessor Building Engineer Housing Authority Planning & Zoning Registrar of Voters Social Services Tax Dept.
Civil Svc Home Jobs & Tests Civil Svc FAQs

Museum Location: Old East Haven High School 200 Tyler Ave. East Haven, CT. (Next to East Haven Academy). Enter using the center doors on the oldest section of the building.
Hours: Museum open Wednesdays from 11:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M. or by appointment.

Join today and help us to preserve the past for future generations.

Take a short visit to the East Haven Historical Society Museum by viewing the artifacts and information on the pages in our menu in the main navigation. Visit the Home page & East Haven Links to General Lafayette, Household Items, Early Tools, Women’s World, and One Hundred Years of Change.

White Teapot with blue designs used to serve General Lafayette during his stay in East Haven.

The Lafayette Teapot.
This teapot was used by Rev. Nicholas Street during the American Revolution to serve General Lafayette tea during his stay in East Haven in July of 1778.

Lafayette Memorial.
Located on the East Haven Town Green the inscription reads:
Marquis de Lafayette 1757 – 1834
General in the Continental Army camped here with 2800 troops enroute to Rhode Island July 26 and 27, 1778.
Dedicated here by the CT Sons of the American Revolution, General David Humphreys Branch and the East Haven Historical Society 1996.

Lafayette Memorial on East Haven Town Green.
The house where Lafayette was entertained in 1824.

"In 1778 East Haven Green became a memorable place in the annals of the Revolution. When the army under General Sullivan in Rhode Island was transferred to New Jersey to strengthen Washington in operations against the British under General Howe. Lafayette with his regiment encamped on the Green and river bank for a few days. Rev. Nicholas Street, the East Haven minister, a firm patriot, invited the marquis to enjoy the hospitalities of his home during his stay, which he very willingly accepted."

Note: Per Cliff Nitchke, former Town Historian, this account of Lafayette’s journey is not correct.
Lafayette was actually heading north to Rhode Island.

"In 1824, East Haven had occassion to again display its patriotism and gratitude to Lafayette when he rode from New Haven to visit the place of his encampment. He was warmly welcomed by the townspeople. A large concourse gathered, speeches of welcome were made, and a liberty pole erected in his honor, which was the first one raised on the Green.
In his speech he stretched forth his hand and , pointing his finger in the direction of the parsonage, said ‘Yonder is the house where I stayed.’ The house was still standing, but the good minister had passed to his heavenly home eighteen years before, but Lafayette was able to shake hands with the sons of so noble a father. This time he was claimed as the guest of Capt. Daniel Bradley, himself a Revolutionary veteran."

Quotes above from Sarah E. Hughes History of East Haven, published in 1908. Pages 177-179.
Another source for East Haven history is The East Haven Register By Stephen Dodd, Pastor of the Congregational Church in East Haven, Published in 1824.
Use these links to read pdf versions of these books from the Google Book Project.
Download the free Adobe Reader to view or save book pdf files.

Blue horizontal bar

† Alert: You will leave this web site by clicking external links use BACK button to return.
Links to external pages are provided as a courtesy and not intended to constitute an endorsement.

Background photo: Old Paper by FC Foley © 2008.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008 East Haven Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Updated December 3, 2008.