TOWN of EAST HAVEN
Mayor April Capone
A Daughter of East Haven
- Born, raised and educated in East Haven.
- MBA from Southern CT. State University.
- Married to Regan Almon since 1999.
- Two years as the only Democrat on the Town Council.
- Private sector experience in budget and fiscal management and
implementing strategies to drive growth and create opportunities.
- The first woman elected to the office of Mayor and the youngest Mayor of East Haven.
A Woman of Action
- Stopped the planned convention center at Candlelight-by-the-Sea.
- Is moving forward with the demolition of Candlelight by using funds received from an insurance claim.
- Working with the Candlelight Committee to develop a site planned for all citizens to enjoy.
- Actively seeking grants to cover government projects while minimizing the cost to taxpayers.
- Turned off the heat in the unused portions of the old high school saving taxpayers more than $1250.00 a day.
- Plans to implement new technologies to facilitate the business of government via the internet.
- Continues to fight against Tweed New Haven Airport expansion
and the Broadwater terminal in Long Island Sound.
Her Guiding Principles
- Be Fair & Honest.
- Take Pride in Working Hard.
- Make Every Dollar Count.
- Run A Tight Ship.
A Strong Leader Making History
"This is a historic day, as East Haven turns the corner into the 21st century with a combination of new leadership and elder statesmen," said state Rep. Michael Lawlor, D-East Haven, the keynote speaker.
Lawlor pointed out that Capone is the first woman to lead what is now East Haven since Sachem Shaumpisbuh, the first "squaw sachem" or female chief of the Quinnipiacs, the native tribe that under her brother, Sachem Momauguin, sold the rights to land that became New Haven to Colonial settlers in the early 1600s.
"Now, at the start of the 21st century, I can feel it: This town is changing," Lawlor said. "Our town has grown very diverse in recent years," he said.
"In our diversity is our strength - and April’s election is proof of that."
Source: "Capone sworn in, makes history in E. Haven"
By Mark Zaretsky, New Haven Register, November 17, 2007.
East Haven Town Hall Architecture photo: by FC Foley © 2008–2011.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008–2011 Town of East Haven. All Rights Reserved. Updated April 10, 2011.