TOWN of EAST HAVEN
New Birthday Celebrations Photo Album!
See our new Senior Center Monthly Birthdays Photo Album. It’s where you and your family can see pictures of the monthly birthday honorees starting with December 2011.
What’s Happening at the Senior Center...
Senior Center Activities & Programs
- Activities: New Years gala, card games, line dancing, aerobics, trips and more. Come join the fun!
- Wellness clinic with free screenings.
- Free income tax service provided by AARP volunteers.
- 55 alive safe driving classes provided by AARP for a $10.00 fee.
- Lunch program available for a suggested donation of $2.00.
- Raise funds for emergency medical assistance
and other services needed by elderly residents.
The STORE is run by advisory board
volunteers and all items for sale are donated and sold at reasonable
prices. We accept donations of clean clothing (in good condition), jewelry, shoes, any household items, books, etc. We invite anyone to come browse and shop.
SENIOR CENTER NEWS
SENIOR MEDICAL APPOINTMENT TRANSPORTATION RESUMES
• East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. has announced that the town is resuming transportation for senior medical appointments effective immediately. The community medical van will be driven by a volunteer local resident and will be available twice a week (weather permitting).
The conversion van, with wheelchair lift and handicapped access, will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 am until 1 pm, with scheduling to be handled by the East Haven Senior Center. The van will be available only for medical appointments, both within the town and the surrounding communities. Seniors may begin scheduling their appointments by contacting Senior Center Director Jan Lougal at (203) 468–3277.
All appointments will be on a first come, first served basis with all pickups and returns, including wheelchair access, made at curbside.
Mayor Maturo also reminds seniors that the East Haven Senior Center Van will be available for rides to and from the Senior Center and to all of East Haven’s major shopping locations, including Stop & Shop, ShopRite, IGA and the TJ Maxx / Expect Shopping Centers. These can also be scheduled by contacting the Senior Center.
Elderly/Totally Disabled Homeowners Benefit Program:
• The East Haven Assessor’s Office will be accepting applications for the Elderly / Totally Disabled Homeowners Benefit Program from February 1, 2012 through May 15, 2012. All residents must be 65 years or older or totally disabled and meet the income guidelines of a maximum of $39,500 annual income for a married couple and $32,300annual income for a single person. All applicants must provide proof of all income. Applications will be taken on Wednesdays only from 8:30 to 4:30 in the Assessors Office at the Town Hall. All Homeowners that qualify for this program will automatically receive and additional tax benefit through the Town.
If there are any questions feel free to call the Assessor’s Office at 203–468–3233 daily.
Greater New Haven Transit District Has Funding Shortfall
The Regional Rides Program will trim hours of service to 10am – 4pm six days a week starting 11/1/08 with NO service on Sundays. This does NOT affect the ADA service which operates 5am to midnight seven days a week or the Dial A Ride program which operates 5am to 8am and 6pm to midnight.
Note – these two programs have some rules and restrictions as to which seniors are eligible to ride. Regional Rides is open to all seniors. Check with your Senior Center Directors for details.
State of Connecticut Department of Social Services:
Prepare for the cold weather by visiting these links: COLD WEATHER PREPAREDNESS GUIDE
and WINTER HEATING SAFETY TIPS.
CtHelpNet.org is a non–commercial, public service website that was designed to help Connecticut’s senior citizens locate specific elder care services.
Get Linked at www.CtHelpNet.org.
Information sources: Director Jan Lougal.
East Haven Town Seal image by FC Foley ©2008–2015.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008–2015 Town of East Haven. All Rights Reserved. Updated