The Town of East Haven Social Services Department assists East Haven residents with various local and State of Connecticut assistance programs. Through the generosity of community organizations, local churches, and individuals, the Social Services Department is able to provide all East Haven residents in need of assistance with access to the local food pantry, clothing for children, back to school supplies, camp scholarships and holiday baskets.
Social Services are a member of the Connecticut Local Administrators of Social Services (C.L.A.S.S.)
Location: Lower level of East Haven Town Hall Phone: 203–468–3303 and Fax: 203–468–3947
• Printable East Haven Social Services Directory of Services.
ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program has ended for this heating season. Applications will be taken again in September 2015 for town residents who heat with deliverable fuels which include oil and propane.
The Town of East Haven Social Services Department collaborates with the Community Action Agency of New Haven (CAAHH) to administer the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program. This program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut’s lower income households. For more information, please contact Social Services at 203–468–3303.
****** Scroll down the web page to see more programs.
RENTERS’ REBATE PROGRAM
East Haven residents who are 65 years of age and older or are fully disabled regardless of their age are eligible to apply for a one time rebate check from the State of Connecticut. The Town of East Haven Social Services Department will be taking applications from May 18, 2015 to September 15, 2015.
Documents needed for the year 2014 are:
• Income: Social Security Benefit statement (Form SSA–1099) Proof of Pension, retirement or disability Income Tax Return (if you filed a federal tax return the first two pages are mandatory).
• Rent: Rent receipts for ALL 12 MONTHS of the year Letter from landlord stating amount of rent paid every month for the entire year Rent ledgers from a housing complex.
• Expenses: Assessments from gas, electric and water companies ONLY, no telephone or cable TV. (NO bills) Invoices from oil companies (if you heat with oil).
Please schedule an appointment by calling the East Haven Senior Center at 203–468–3277. The Renters’ Rebate Program is coordinated by the Town of East Haven Social Services Department. For more information please contact Bob Petrucelli, MPA, Interim Director of Social Services at 203–468–3303.
HOMEOWNER’S TAX RELIEF PROGRAM
Available to elderly (65+) and totally disabled homeowners who meet income guidelines. Application period is February 1st through May 15th. Call the East Haven Assessor’s office at 203–468–3233 for details.
ADA COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Your Town of East Haven ADA Compliance Officer is Candace Criscuolo appointed in June of 2012. Her office is located in the Finance Department on the lower level of East Haven Town Hall. To report violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act email Candace Criscuolo or call Candace at 203–468–3210.
GET INFORMATION ABOUT...
• State & Federal Programs
• Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY)
• Medical Insurance for Single Adults
• Stated Assisted General Assistance (SAGA)
• Connecticut Pharmaceutical Assistance Contract to the Elderly and Disabled (CONNPACE)
• Food Programs
• Emergency Shelter
• Employment Assistance
EAST HAVEN SERVICES FOR SENIORS
The East Haven Senior Center at 91 Taylor Ave. offers information and support services. Call 203–468–3277 for more information or visit the Senior Center page.
Transportation for 60 year olds and handicapped residents for medical purposes, shopping and banking.