TOWN of EAST HAVEN
Q1. I sold my property and received a tax bill?
A1. Please return the bill to the Tax Department, so we can get the bill to the new owner.
Q2. I sold or closed my business?
A2. Notify the Tax Collector and the Assessor immediately.
Q3. Have you moved?
A3. Notify the CT Dept. of Motor Vehicles immediately to correct your address. Tax bills are generated on where your car is registered.
Q4. Returned your plates, sold or junked your car?
A4. Contact the Assessor's Office at 203–468–3233 for more info.
Note: All delinquent motor vehicle taxes must be paid with cash, certified bank check or money order.
TAX BILLS & BEACH PASSES
Your July Tax bill will contain the new beach passes. Beach parking passes should be placed on the front windshield of your vehicle. This beach pass will allow town residents preferential parking at the East Haven Town Beach parking lots free of charge.
For those residents who do not receive a tax bill due to having a leased vehicle or some other reason, you will have to come into the Tax Office with your drivers license and registration to obtain your pass. If the Tax office line is very long the you can obtain additional or duplicate beach passes from the Mayor’s office or the Town Clerk’s office.
Tax bills are sent out the last week of June and the first installment must be paid in person or postmarked by no later than August 1st. The second installment must be paid in person or postmarked by no later than February 1st. No tax bill is sent out for the second installment. It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to send in the second installment.
Tax Department Responsiblities
- Collecting and recording current and delinquent taxes.
- The collection procedure for current taxes includes:
- the collection of taxes,
- validation of permanent records,
- and issuance of a receipt and posting the receipts to the permanent
- The Tax Office
- Bills and collects the registration charges for aircrafts based at Tweed New
- Gives monthly financial reports to the Finance Department.
- Sends elderly and disability reports to the State.
- Files a yearly financial report to the State.
- Delinquent Tax Collections include:
- The issuance of delinquent demand notices.
- Recording Real Estate liens.
- Providing the Department of Motor Vehicle with a list of delinquent taxpayers.
- Transfers delinquent Motor Vehicle taxes to an Attorneys office for collection.
- Assigns Real Estate delinquent taxes to attorneys and/or State Marshals for collections and possible foreclosure.
- Assigns Personal property delinquent taxes to the State Marshal for collection.
- Utilizes its resources to increase the back tax collection rate.
Information sources: Town of East Haven Annual Report and Lisa A. Basilicato, C.C.M.C.
East Haven Town Seal image by FC Foley ©2008–2014.
Web Designs by Frances C. Foley & Noisemakers Productions.
Copyright © 2008–2014 Town of East Haven. All Rights Reserved. Updated 6/4/14.