View Contact Info
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
During July & January:
Open the last Saturday: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
How to Reach Us
Town Hall Upper Level
250 Main StreetEast Haven, CT 06512
Important Information: Please refer to the Department of Motor Vehicle website for valuable information at http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp. This online resource can be utilized for information pertaining to renewal of vehicle registrations, returning of license plates, address changes and any other compliance issues. Checking these things online can help avoid confusion and an unnecesary trip to the DMV.
DMV RELEASES ARE NOT IMMEDIATE!
DMV RELEASES WILL TAKE 10 BUSINESS DAYS, IF PAYMENT IS MADE BY PERSONAL CHECK, E-CHECK OR CREDIT CARD.
DMV RELEASES WILL TAKE UP TO 48 HOURS IF PAYMENT IS MADE IN CASH!
IF YOU ARE GOING TO PURCHASE A NEW CAR, LEASE A CAR OR RENEW A REGISTRATION, PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY! YOU MUST HAVE YOUR TAXES PAID 10 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE OR REGISTER A VEHICLE! NO EXCEPTIONS!
LAS LIBERACIONES DEL DMV NO SON INMEDIATES!
SI USTED VA A PAGAR PARA SUS IMPUESTOS UTILIZANDO CHEQUES PERSONALES, CHEQUE ELECTRONICO, O TARJETA DE CREDITO TOMARA 10 DIAS PARA LAS LIBERACIONES DEL DMV.
LAS LIBERACIONES DEL DMV TOMARAN HASTA 48 HORAS SI LOS IMPUESTOS SON PAGADOS EN EFECTIVO.
SI USTED VA A COMPRAR UN VEHICULO NUEVO O VA A RENOVAR SU REGISTRO, POR FAVOR DE PLANEAR CON TIEMPO! DEBES DE TENER SUS IMPUESTOS PAGADOS POR 10 DIAS ANTES DE COMPRAR SUS VEHICULO. NO HAY EXCEPCIONES!
All Delinquent Motor Vehicle Tax Bills will be flagged at DMV after February 1, 2018. Payment must be made in full to get a release for DMV. All Delinquent Motor Vehicle Tax Bills will be sent to the State Marshal or an Attorney for collection. You will have to contact either the State Marshal or Attorney to make payment.
All 2013 GRAND LIST BILLS AND PRIOR HAVE BEEN TURNED OVER TO ROSSI LAW FIRM FOR COLLECTION – THEY ARE NOW REQUIRING A 24 HOUR DELAY BEFORE THEY WILL CONFIRM PAYMENT – TAX PAYERS MUST CONTACT ROSSI LAW FIRM TO MAKE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS
Tax Department Responsiblities
- Collecting and recording current and delinquent taxes. The collection procedure for current taxes includes:
- the collection of taxes,
- validation of permanent records,
- and issuance of a receipt and posting the receipts to the permanent records.
- The Tax Office:
- Bills and collects the registration charges for aircrafts based at Tweed New Haven Airport.
- Gives monthly financial reports to the Finance Department.
- Sends elderly and disability reports to the State.
- Files a yearly financial report to the State.
- Delinquent Tax Collections include:
- The issuance of delinquent demand notices.
- Recording Real Estate liens/Personal Property UCC Liens
- Providing the Department of Motor Vehicle with a list of delinquent taxpayers.
- Transfers delinquent Motor Vehicle taxes to an Attorneys office for collection.
- Assigns Real Estate delinquent taxes to attorneys and/or State Marshals for collections and possible foreclosure.
- Assigns Personal property delinquent taxes to the State Marshal for collection.
- Utilizes its resources to increase the back tax collection rate.
Assigns delinquent Motor Vehicle taxes to a State Marshal or an Attorney for Collection.